Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Little Chat With God #7
(on the word "bridge")


Good Morning God:

Today I want to explore a word in our English language with You.  For the past week my head has been intermittently tossing about this simple, six-letter word , and since it was apparently running amuck in my mind anyway, I thought I would share my thoughts with You as I see how this word might also be applied to us as human beings.  The word is BRIDGE; it is most commonly used as a noun in our English language but it can also be used as a verb and is also known as a game.

However, the most common definition of the word bridge is a structure built to span physical obstacles such as a body of water, valley, or road, for the purpose of providing passage over the obstacle [according to Wikipedia].  When we hear this word spoken, this is what visually appears in our mind.  It may be an old bridge in our past that has long since been demolished for a more modern one, or it may be one of the newer and fancier bridges that would boggle the mind of the greatest structural engineer.  But the word “bridge” immediately portrays this idea in our minds . . . a way to get from one place to another.

I suppose I want to kind of give myself a little food for thought on this word bridge.  It is more than just a way to get from one place to another.  It can also be a way to get from one person to another mentally and spiritually.  We, ourselves, can in fact be a bridge.  One might say, “Why do you say that?”  Well, let’s think about this further.

When family members get distraught with one another to the point of no communication, and each going their separate way, do we not act as a “bridge” to get them back together? 

Or, for instance,  when a married couple gets so distressed with each other that they have to be apart (for whatever reason) . . . if we talk to each one separately and try to help them see both sides to the situation to try to resolve this “split”, are we not acting as a “bridge” between the two individuals?

Where two separate individuals categorized as “friends” have a horrible dispute, our natural instinct is to “come between them” and try to help them solve the dispute before it gets totally out of hand and ruins a good friendship isn’t it?  Are we not a “span” between these two individuals trying to “bridge” the gap that has come between them?

When there are elderly people who are very ill and have no one to visit them, or maybe their children live too far away to come often . . . when we visit them, do we not act as a “span or bridge” between them and loneliness?

Similarly, where there has been a tragedy in a family, whether it be a death  or a sudden deadly accident of a loved one, and we are supportive of those involved, are we not being a “bridge” from a heart that is wracked with grief to bringing a little brightness in their life at this time?

When someone is lost to sin in this world and we bring them in and teach them your way, are we not being a “bridge” between their depravity and their salvation?

And, with comparison in mind, did You not give Your son Jesus as a “bridge” between God and man so we would have a way to get to heaven? 

I suspect that all of us as human beings, can be bridges in so many ways and we need to be bridges.  We need to step in and be supportive at times where others might not.  And if we care about our fellow humans as we should, we will do this when we see the need.  However, I know there is a fine line between being a help and a nuisance or a hindrance in a lot of cases, but one with the right intent, attitude and love towards each other can be a “bridge” is so many ways.  Sometimes it just takes one person to be the “span” that solidifies relationships again.

I think I like being a bridge . . . and even though I am not degreed in structural engineering, I can be a bridge builder and can help build relationships when they need mending and as a result, I too become a better person.  And the more I write about this, the more I am sure this is something You expect of all of us as well regarding relationships with one another while we are here on earth. . . .  but I just had not thought of myself as a “bridge” until I got to thinking about this word as it was bouncing back and forth in my head.

Thank you God for giving me the mind to think about this word “bridge” in a very different aspect, a very good one, and let me apply what I have learned to my life.  Until the next time . . .


Written by Ruth Miller
© July, 2011

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Ruth! I always tell my brother that he is my bridge because he is the link to my childhood and memories.

    ReplyDelete