Friday, April 22, 2011

AN ODE TO DEEANN



 
Dear little child that we named her DeeAnn,
How you grew to a beauty so fair,
Listen, Dear heart, let me offer these words,
As I try to express how we care.

You won’t remember – as mother I do –
Your standing at bedside each morn,
In silence beside us, awaiting the light,
O what joy to our lives you have borne.

Can you envision the “vampire routine”,
Acted out with such vigor and verve?
Only now may I mention and then hold my peace,
That this habit did get on my nerves.

Jeff, If you’ll listen, I’ll tell you no lie,
As mother-in-law I’ll behave,
And when you ask my opinion – I’m not shy you know,
I will always speak up, so be brave.

Jeff better diet, watch sugar and fat,
‘cause this bride is a cook hard to beat,
So get ready for neighbors who carry a fork,
And look ready and willing to eat.

Dad and I wish you this day of your life,
Every happiness God will bestow,
We are here, if you need us, and pray that you will,
For we’ll always be family, you know.


Written  to DeeAnn for her
Wedding Rehearsal Dinner
© June, 1989

1 comment:

  1. Aww. I'm curious though, what is this vampire routing of which you speak that got on your nerves? LOL.

    ReplyDelete